Lauki chana dal is a healthy main course item consist of lauki and chana dal. So if you are bored of regular dal, you can try this recipe. It goes well with roti paratha or jeera rice.
- Chana dal-1/2 cup
- Lauki chopped-1 small
- Oil-1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- Onion -1 medium (chopped)
- Tomatoes-3 midium
- Garlic -1 tbsp (minced)
- Ginger-1tbsp (minced)
- Red chilli powder-1 teaspoon
- Tumeric-1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder-1 teaspoon
- Hing/Asafoetida -¼ tsp
- KasTuri Methi-1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Boil water in a pressure cooker. Add dal, turmeric, salt and lauki to the water, close lid and cook till done.
- Once done mash the mixture lightly with back of a rounded spoon and mix well.Set aside.
- If the dal seems too thick, you can add extra boiled water as per your requirement.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add cumin seeds and asafoetida powder and let the seeds splutter.Add whole chillies and ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Now add chopped onion and saute till golden brown ,add tomatoes ,chilli powder and fry for 5 minutes.
- Now add some garam masala and cook until oil separates.
- Add the dal mixture to this masala and mix.
- Add methi leaves and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes .
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- It goes very well with hot and crispy chapatties.
Prep time – under 15 minutes
Cook time – under 15 minutes
- Tomatoes – 6 (chopped into medium size)
- Onions – 4 (chopped into medium size)
- Red chillies – 6
- Oil – 4 tbsp
For the seasoning
- Mustard seeds – 1and1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, saute red chillies for a few seconds and remove it from the pan.
- In the same pan, add onions and saute until onions are slightly brown.
- Now add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes become slightly mushy and let it cool.
- Once the mixture cools, grind it along with red chillies and salt as per required.(Do not grind to a smooth paste)
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Once dal turns golden brown, add the ground chutney to it and cook until oil separates and your chutney is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with dosa, idli, chapati, sandwich, upma, adai,etc.
Note: – You can store this chutney in the refrigerator for about 2 or 3 days.
Semiya is a very easily available ingredient and the ready availability of vegetables makes semiya biryani an easy to cook and nutritious recipe whenever you feel like you don’t want to spend to much time in the kitchen.
- Vermicelli/Semiya – 250 gm
- Ghee -1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mixed vegetables chopped – 1 cup (carrot, cabbage , cauliflower, beans and peas)
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Cinnamon – 1
- Cloves – 4
- Saunf – ¼ tsp
- Ginger – small piece
- Garlic – 5 pods
- Cardamom – 2
- Green chilly – 3 to 4
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Onion – 3
- Mint and coriander leaves chopped – ½ cup
- Salt as per taste
- First of all grind cinnamon, cloves, saunf, ginger, garlic, green chillies, cardamom and make a smooth paste.
- Chop all the vegetables to small pieces.
- Now grind grated coconut and make a smooth paste by adding little water to it.
- In the meantime you can filter the coconut milk and keep it ready.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat a tbsp of ghee.
- Roast vermicelli for a minute.Just ensure that the colour does’t change.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in the same pan.
- Add cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- When cumin seeds starts crackling add chopped onion and fry untill golden brown.
- Now you can add the ground masala paste and saute till raw smell goes.
- Now add the chopped cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, beans and peas and mix well.
- Add chopped mint and coriander leaves and saute.
- Add coconut milk, salt and bring it to boil.
- Once it is boiled add the roasted vermicelli.
- Stir well and let it cook over a medium flame.Ensure that you cover it.
- Whe you see that the vermicelli has absorbed the coconut milk,you can reduce that flame and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir well in between.
- Now your semiya biryani is ready.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- If you want you can have this biryani with raita as well.
Masala peanuts is a very easy tea time snack recipe.This crunchy spice-coated peanuts is very simple and easy to make.
- Peanut (Moong Phali) – 1 cup
- Bengal Gram Flour (besan) – 1/4 cup
- Rice Flour (Chawal ka Atta) – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder – as per the taste
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp crushed
- Salt as per taste
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Oil to deep fry
- Mix all the above ingredients except peanuts.
- Now add peanuts in that mixture and mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and drop a lumpful of the coated nuts in hot oil.
- Fry on medium heat, till light brown.
Strain the excess oil in tissue paper .
Serve with tea,coffee.
Note :- You can store it in airtight containers.
- Vermicelli – 100 gm
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Milk – 750 gm
- Cashew Nuts – 20 gm (cut each cashew in 8 pieces)
- Raisins – 25
- Small Cardamom – 4 to 5
- Sugar – 75 gm
- Almonds – 4 (cut them length wise into thin pieces)
- Take a pan and heat some ghee in a low flame.
- Add vermicelli in the ghee and fry till golden brown.
- Now turn off the burner and take out the vermicelli on a plate and keep it aside.
- In a thick-bottomed frying pan,pour milk and let it boil.
- When the milk starts boiling, add vermicelli in it .
- Stir continuously on a midium flame till the time the milk gets thickened and then add sugar to it.
- Now add cardamom granules in it and stir well and turn off the burner.
- Take out the vermicelli kheer in a bowl and garnish it with sliced almonds, cashew and raisins.
- You can eat either hot or cold.
Note :- I prefer adding rosted dryfruits in it ,for that take a pan heat some ghee and fry the dryfruits ensuring that it doesn’t burn.
- Toovar dal – 1 cup
- Tomato- 1 chopped
- Onion – 2 chopped
- Carrot – 1 chopped (optional)
- Beans – 4 to 5 chopped (optional)
- Brinjal- 2 cubed
- Potato – 1 cubed
- Tamarind (imli) pulp – as per the taste
- Salt per taste
For The Tempering:-
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6 to 7
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and pressure cook the dal, tomato, onion, brinjals, carrot, beans and potato with 2 cups of water.
- Once the dal is cooked properly mash it properly and then add the tamarind pulp,salt and 4 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Now heat some oil in frying pan add mustard seeds, curry leaves .
- When the mustard seeds starts spluttering . Add this to the sambhar and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Serve hot with masala dosa.
Note :- For masala dosa i prefer making sambhar little watery as it taste much better than the thicker version of sambhar.
Noodles is one of my favorite chinese recipe .I always prefer to make noodles for breakfast as its an instant recipe and healthy too (especially because i don’t use chinese salt and vinegar, i use lots of vegetables).It taste real good if you have noodles with paneer chilli ,manchurian .
- Chinese noodles – 100 grams (easily available in general store)
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp (properly crushed)
- Onion -2 midium
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup (thinly sliced)
- Carrot – 1 medium size (thinly sliced)
- Capsicum – 1 big size
- Soya sauce – 2 tsp
- Tomato sauce – 2 tsp or as required
- Chilli sauce – 1/2 tsp or as required
- Salt to taste
- Oil -2 1/2 tbsp
- Bring water to boil adding a tsp of oil and 1/2 tsp of salt.Then add noodles to the boiling water.
- Stir in between to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- Do not over cook the noodles.
- Once done drain the noodles in a strainer and than spread it on the flat surface in order to prevent it from sticking to each other.
- Now cut the vegetables (carrot, onions, cabbage and capsicum) and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add finely crushed ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2 seconds.
- Then add onions and saute for a few more seconds on high flame.
- Now add carrot, cabbage and capsicum and saute the vegetables on high flame (Ensure that the vegetables should not be over cooked).
- Then add soya sauce, chilli sauce, tomato sauce and mix well.
- Now add the cooked noodles, salt, and toss everything together, so that the noodles get mixed with the sauces properly.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with any sauce as per taste.