Prep time – under 15 minutes
Cook time – under 15 minutes
- Tomatoes – 6 (chopped into medium size)
- Onions – 4 (chopped into medium size)
- Red chillies – 6
- Oil – 4 tbsp
For the seasoning
- Mustard seeds – 1and1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, saute red chillies for a few seconds and remove it from the pan.
- In the same pan, add onions and saute until onions are slightly brown.
- Now add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes become slightly mushy and let it cool.
- Once the mixture cools, grind it along with red chillies and salt as per required.(Do not grind to a smooth paste)
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Once dal turns golden brown, add the ground chutney to it and cook until oil separates and your chutney is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with dosa, idli, chapati, sandwich, upma, adai,etc.
Note: – You can store this chutney in the refrigerator for about 2 or 3 days.