Methi Rice is an easy healthy meals cooked in spicy, aromatic methi leaves.Green leafy vegetables is something which is recommended in your daily diet . Methi rice is a healthy recipe with the unique flavour and it tastes really good if you have it with achar.
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup ( I have used normal rice)
- Onion – 2 (chopped)
- Tomato – 3 (chopped)
- Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Methi leaves – 1 cup tightly stuffed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Pure Ghee – 1 tsp
- Salt as per required
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Fennel seeds -1 tsp
- Bay leaf -1
- Star anise – 1
- Cinnamon- 1 small piece
- Cardamom- 2
- Pepper – 5
- Black cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 3
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder -2 tsp
- Chilli Powder -1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Garam masala -3/4 tsp
- Clean methi leaves and wash thoroughly and keep it aside. (take the leaves alone, discard the stem )
- Soak rice for 45 minutes. Drain the water completely.
- Heat a tsp of ghee and fry the drained rice for a few minutes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, black cardamom, cloves, mustard seeds.
- When jeera splutters, add chopped onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a few more seconds or till the raw smell goes.
- Add all the dry powder given under spice powder and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chopped methi leaves and saute well till the leaves wilt.
- Add salt, 2 cups of water and rice to it.
- Now cook the rice on a slow flame without a lid on it.(You can also per-cook the rice in the cooker and mix it with masala)
- Serve hot with raita, papad and any pickle.