Methi Dal is a quick healthy recipe and is extremely good for people with heart ailments along with diabetes as methi helps to control blood sugar levels. It goes well with plain rice or roti.
- Toovar dal – ¼ cup
- Moong dal – 2 tablespoons
- Sabut Masoor – 3 tablespoons
- Water – as per required
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Ginger paste– 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – ½ teaspoon
- Green chilies – 3, chopped finely
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Fenugreek leaves (fresh Methi leaves) – 1 cup, washed and chopped
- Tomatoes – ½ cup, chopped
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon ( or as per the taste)
- Clean and wash all three dals.
- Transfer them into pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water or as required so that the dal should cooked properly.
- Cook dal on a low heat .
- After that let the pressure go down by itself and then open the lid.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once hot add cumin seeds, once the seeds starts crackling add ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies and let them cook for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and mix it and cook till golden brown.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes or till tomatoes become soft.
- Then add cooked dal, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Pour water as required to maintain a thick consistency and mix it properly.
- Let the dal boil for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and serve hot.
- This recipe is a combination of three different dals. But you can make with only toovar dal or mix of toovar dal & moong dal or mix of toovar & masoor dal or you can also use a teaspoon of chana dal.
- It’s completely up to you as in which dal you want to use or which not.