Any chaat without this chutney is incomplete. It gives a very unique ,sour and tangy taste to your chaat items.I always prefer to make and keep it refrigerated . It goes well with vada pav,gol gappe , bhalle papdi or any chaat items you make.
- Deseeded dates (khajur) – 1 cup
- Deseeded tamarind (imli) – 2 tbsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Grated jaggery (gur) – 1/2 cup
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt as per taste
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Put imli in the little hot water for about 15 minutes or till tender.
- Now extract its juice,sieve and keep it aside.
- Take a pan add tamarind juice, dates and raisins and bring it to boil by adding little water for about 15 to 20 minutes or till the dates become tender.
- Once the dates become mushy add the jaggery and cook for 5 to 6 minutes again.
- Let it cool and then blend in a mixer to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Now take a pan, pour oil in it and add mustard seeds and asafoetida , once the seeds starts crackling add the blended mixture to it.
- Add 1½ cups of water, chilli powder, cumin seeds powder and salt and mix well.
- Let it simmer for few minutes.
- Turn off the gas and let it cool.
- Refrigerate and use as required.