- Whole urad (whole black lentil) – 3/4 cup
- Rajma (kidney beans) – 3 tbsp
- Milk- 2 cups (optional)
- Butter – 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 2 to 3 chopped
- Cinnamon (dalchinni) – 1 piece
- Cloves (laung) -3
- Cardamoms(elachi) – 3
- Onions – 2 midium (finely chopped)
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi) – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato puree – 1/2 cup
- Dried methi leaves – 1 tsp
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped
- Fresh cream – 2 tbsp (to garnish)
- Salt as per taste
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight.
- Drain and add 2 cup of water and salt ,and pressure cook till the dals are overcooked.(if you want you can boil by adding 1 cup water and 1 cup milk )
- Allow the steam to escape and then open the lid.
- Whisk till the dal is almost mashed. Keep it aside.
- For the tempering, heat the butter in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, and onions and saute till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste,chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree and cook over a medium flame till the mixture leaves oil.
- Now add the dal, salt and 2 to 3 tbsp water if required and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now add methi leaves and garam masala powder and let it simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the cream and mix well. Simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and fresh cream.
- Serve hot with Naan,roti,jeera rice and paratha.
Note :- (You can always use milk instead of water to make dal makhani .I prefer using milk because it gives a very nice flavor, if you want you can try it once and i am sure you are going to love this.)