- Sugar- one cupful
- Flour- a quarter of flour
- Water-as required
- Lemon Juice-one tablespoonful
- Baking Powder-one teaspoonful
- Walter Baker & Co.’s Premium No. 1 Chocolate-one ounce
- Jelly-half a tumbler
- Chocolate for icing
- Separate the eggs, and beat the yolks and sugar together until light.
- Beat the whites until light, and then beat them with yolks and sugar and grated chocolate.
- Next beat in the lemon juice and water, and finally the flour, in which the baking powder should be mixed.
- Beat for three minutes, and then pour the batter into two pans,and bake in a moderate oven for about eighteen minutes.
- When done, spread one sheet of cake with the jelly, and press the other sheet over it; and when it gets cold, cut into little squares and triangular pieces.
- Stick a wooden toothpick into each of these pieces and dip each one into the hot icing, afterwards remove the toothpick.